Reykjavik, Iceland: Final Days


After the tournament was New Year’s Eve! Which most of us spent the morning of nursing hangovers and trying to avoid the angry hotel staff. We may or may not of one night offended them with a shirt-less congo line. I only heard rumors, I wasn’t there.

My trio spent most of the day sleeping in, making a video on our laptop, and only going outside to go to the liquor store. At some point, we started to play some games in the hotel lobby, starting with card games but as the group grew larger we switched to a counting game. We played this counting game for 3 hours, at least. It starts by everyone sitting in a circle and in a clockwise direction to start counting from 1 to 21. The numbers 5 and 15 reverse the direction. Then, once 21 is reached, a new rule is instated. Maybe we are easily amused, or maybe this game is awesome, whichever it was, I was completely happy sitting there until dinner time, trying to count. Howl, oink, do the kung fu, eight, five, six, seven seven seven, four, wine, ten.

This dinner was hosted by the restaurant across from the hotel, and we were all there. This time, the food was much better than it was the night before, but the drinks were more expensive. Apparently they raised the prices because it was New Years. This makes Jeff really angry, because it is taking advantage of what should be a good time by all. During dinner our host taught us how to say Happy New Year in Icelandic, which is “súpa dagsins.” At eleven thirty we left the restaurant and went to a hill nearby. We could hear locals lighting off fireworks all around us, but I assumed they were getting ready for the big display that the city would organize. That is how it is in every other city in the world anyway.

I should of known Iceland would be different though. Once we got to the top of the hill, we had an amazing view of the city. The entire city, in a 360 panorama, was lighting fireworks. Everywhere was fireworks, and big ones too, being lit and erupting from the buildings like light-geysers. It was amazing. For about an hour the whole skyline was just explosions of color and light. 600 tons worth of light. The 50 or so of us up there drank champagne, kissed at midnight, yelled “súpa dagsins,” and just hugged everyone, frisbee players or not. We were like children in a pyrotechnic theme-park.



The next morning we packed our bags and prepared for our move to Reykjavik. We didn’t depart right away though. For one, many of us were moving slow from hangovers, again. But also we wanted to watch the next New Year’s display that was waiting for us. Does everyone know what a “polar bear dive” is? Well, if you don’t, this should explain…

The boys decided to do the dive naked, which means I also have photos of that. I’m holding those pictures as bribery, and they are available for purchase for anyone interested.

Duane was a little slow at getting in, which is why he had to go by himself.

After the polar bear dive we took a taxi into Reykjavik because none of the public transport runs on holidays in Iceland. We had a nice relaxing rest of the trip playing cards, hanging out with british panda bears, and dreading the end of our amazing trip. We tried to see some northern lights, but unfortunately the weather was too cloudy. Maybe we will have to try again next year. Súpa dagsins everyone!

By the way, Súpa dagsins actually means “Soup of the Day,” Hanna was lying to us. We found out our last night in Iceland, from someone else who found out from a very confused waitress.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *